echelon V

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Food for thought

I was just watching an episode of The West Wing (have to love the Undergrad Library on campus, they have all kinds of DVDs), and here's an excerpt from it. Toby (White House Speech Writer, Democrat) trying to convince this inexperienced Republican Congressman, Joe Willis, to change his vote on a certain bill. Here's the conversation....

TOBY
Mr. Willis?

WILLIS
You can call me Joe.

TOBY
If you don’t mind me asking sir, what changed your mind?

WILLIS
What do you mean?

TOBY
Well, I know it wasn’t expediency sir. I was wondering what changed your mind?

WILLIS
You did. I thought you made a very strong argument.

TOBY
Well thank you. [laughs] I’m smiling because, well, around here the merits of a
particular argument generally take a back seat to political tactics.

WILLIS
I can imagine.

TOBY
Yeah.

Now if only more people understood that.

Now Playing: The West Wing Episode 1x06

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home