echelon V

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Now entering the city of Austin

Wow, a lot can happen in two days. This is another one of those 'what I did today' posts, but it's interesting, and hey, it's my blog. Feel free to complete a feedback questionnaire and leave it in the drop box and I'll make every effort to ignore it.

I flew over from Houston to Austin yesterday (Friday) morning. It's so much more convenient than the bus. a 25 minute flight versus 4 hours on the bus, 5 to get to/from Clear Lake. Except the air ticket is 4 to 6 times more expensive.

Anyhow, I took the airport flyer to UT and checked into San Jac. It seemed pretty quiet and I didn't really meet anyone. So I unpacked, sorted my stuff out and started wondering whether the next 5 weeks would be the equivalent of watching 9 seasons of Friends at a stretch - just plain boring. Some people would disagree with that. Those people are communists. Ignore them.

Seeing as how I had nothing to do, I took the WC shuttle to Rio Nueces and got my desktop from there in two trips. That took about an hour in itself. And then I ran into Manish, and he was kind enough to help me get my stuff from storage. That helped because sleeping without a sheet, pillows and a comforter would have sucked. Except that I got the wrong comforter and didn't find out who it belonged to until I got back. The thing smelled like it had been drenched in concentrated sweat harvested directly from somone who had just run 10 miles non stop in the Dubai summer sun. Guess who it belongs to and I'll personally mail you a Double-Stuf Oreo cookie.

All that done with, I thought I'd sleep early and get 12 to 14 hours. That wasn't going to happen though. This guy named Landon who lives down the hall knocked on the door, and when I opened he introduced himself and asked if I wanted to go get dinner. I stepped outside and it looked like the whole fifth floor was going. He ended up introducing me to everyone there. About 10 of us ate at Mr. Gatti's pizza, and then ended up going for Fighter Pilot in the IMax cinema next to campus. I didn't really talk much at the time because I was really tired. I don't even remember some of their names. They're all freshmen, and they kept doing weird stuff... and then telling me "yeah, we're weird". Not in a bad way though.

And that was yesterday. Today was different though. I didn't run into most of them, and it seemed like it was going to be a slow day anyway so I paid a visit to HEB and got some groceries. Put my desktop together too, and listed one of my 6800 GTs for sale. (Anyone interested? You know you want one)

Then I decided to go to the gym, since I didn't really have much else to do. After about an hour of working out, I ran into - if you went to Modern High, wait for it - Roshan Nair. I've been at UT for a year and I never met him before this. We played squash... and let's just say I haven't beaten anyone this bad for a while now - and I'm not even that good. I wouldn't say he's a bad player though, and in all fairness, my serves were incredibly accurate, which usually doesn't happen.

That just about covers everything. Oh, bandwidth limits really suck. 12 GB/week just doesn't cut it. It's only for a month though....

Now Playing: The Killers - Mr. Brightside

5 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Dhirendra, at 9:34 PM  

  • Oooh, someone took the time to spam my blog.

    You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

    By Blogger Sam, at 11:06 PM  

  • Caught the race comrade? I didn't even bother cos the F2005 sucks. Put Narain in the MP220 and he'll win a race man..it's just that damn good.

    12GB a week and you're complaining
    !#@!@#!@#!@#!@#!@1!#!@#!@#

    Do you have Rosh's contact? Poor chap, you should have let him take a couple of points of you l4mer.

    So long..

    By Blogger schumy, at 11:06 AM  

  • Didn't catch the race. I predicted a depressing one and that's exactly what it was. You're right about the McLaren - it's easily leaps and bounds beyond anything the competition has to offer.

    And Alonso is one lucky SOB.

    Don't have Roshan's contact but I do have his cellphone number and his facebook contact. Though I guess you can't use facebook....

    By Blogger Sam, at 1:00 PM  

  • update!!!!

    By Blogger Aeris, at 5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home