echelon V

Monday, May 23, 2005

The city of blinding lights

I know U2 were thinking of New York when they came up with the song, but really, that's what went through my mind when we left Dubai airport. All the new buildings and malls and everything else.... They say the traffic's a lot worse but you can't really tell at midnight.

The other thing that really hit me when we left the airport (and this was 11.45 pm) was just how HOT it was. I never thought 35C was this bad, and I have no idea how I got used to it all these years.

The lines at the airport were surprisingly good. I had barely begun bitching about Albers' spinout at Monte Carlo with Anish when my number came up in passport control line. Maybe it's just but the immigration officers seemed a lot better this time around too.

"Hello!" (surprising - they NEVER wish you at immigration counters anywhere in the world, much less Dubai. I was used to the perpetual 'cold stare')

"Hi, how are you?"

"Fine. Where are you flying in from?"

"London"

"Heathrow?"

"Yeah. Via Amsterdam."

"Visit visa?"

"No, residence."

"Oh ok."

And then she starts laughing all of a sudden and I figure she's looking at my old passport photo.

"Yes, that IS me."

That picture was taken when I was 9. No, you can't see it.

Heathrow immigration was funny too, when I flew in. These two girls were at the counter, and from the looks of it one of them was training the other in procedure.

"So where are you flying in from?"

"Houston via Amsterdam."

"And the purpose of your visit is?"

"Tourism."

"Where will you be staying?"

"With friends."

"Are you travelling with anyone?"

"Yeah, with parents. They're at the other counter over there."

"So why didn't you all come to the same counter? I could refuse you entry you know."

"Now that wouldn't be nice. I'd have to go all the way back to Houston, and trust me, it's not a fun flight. Besides, my visa was issued in LA and theirs in Dubai, and in the US they make an issue out of it."

"Well we're not as mean as they are over there."

"Then you'll let me in."

And that was that.



Now Playing: U2 - Kite (Slane Castle)

2 Comments:

  • If the lines and the flight don't the heat will. :o

    By Blogger Sam, at 11:09 AM  

  • If the lines and the flight don't the heat will. :o

    Thats true. The heat always gets you in the end. Even if you're dead, it'll kill you.

    And if you're thinking of warding off the grim reaper (of heat) by wearing a hat, dont bother. The only true way to survive (for a time) is to stay indoors. That way, even though you wont be able to beat the grim reaper, you'll make the bastard work for it.

    By Blogger Sabre Slayer, at 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home