echelon V

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Right

Chevron called me today. Same Chevron that seemed really interested in me at the intern expo. Not to brag, but what's not to be interested in when you have a 4.0 GPA and work experience in finance and IT in multiple countries?

Here's the sum of the conversation: Chevron was interested in offering me an internship but they happened to notice that my permanent address was non-US, and I had no work experience in the US, so that begged the question as to whether I had authorization to work. Naturally I told them my status and that while I would need authorization to work full time, I wouldn't for an internship (the same as a citizen or permanent resident). They withdrew the offer. Why? Because they want interns who would come back to work full time after graduation.

Naturally I was pretty ticked off. Being this close to getting an internship in one of the biggest energy companies in the US, as a sophomore (second year junior but they don't see it that way), based purely on my qualifications, and then being rejected simply because I'm an international student?

Prepare yourselves for part 2 of rant, tomorrow evening.

Now Playing: U2 - Gone (Live in Boston)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home