echelon V

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Free trade

You know, I don't blame Chevron. Ok, so maybe I do to some extent, but they're a business, and that's how the free market works.

No, as far as I'm concerned, the majority of the blame falls on government and the very idea of immigration. Chevron won't sponsor me because it would cost them $1,000. And why sponsor someone when you can save money and draw from your own labor supply? Nevermind the fact that people in my position might have the qualifications or more, we're shut out in the interest of protecting US jobs.

I'm not going to bother with a long post explaining my position, but I'll just say this.

Immigration will happen. Outsourcing will happen. Free trade will happen. People in one economy will lose jobs while people in another will gain them. The current half assed version of 'free trade' allows corporations to endlessly outsource to other markets, while killing the labor side of the equation.

You could go two ways. You could go towards full protectionism and market isolation, or you could remove the barriers. Bring all the economies together in one huge macroeconomy. The EU was so close to accomplishing this, if the constitution hadn't been killed. Have a truly free market. One that benefits everyone.

Obviously it's a risky proposition, and not something that could be easily accomplished anytime soon. And definitely not something any elected politician would take on. But there it is.

Now Playing: Goo Goo Dolls - It's Over

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home