echelon V

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Postscript

So this is one of those things no one but me cares about, but this is my blog, and to quote my very first post - I can do whatever the hell I want with it.

The other day I was watching The West Wing, which happens to be my favourite currently airing TV show. I like it, and have always liked it, because of the way it portrays American politics. It's sort of like a what could have been had a person like Jed Bartlet been elected president, instead of George W Bush. It's not an idealist show by any means, but to me at least, it has always been a show where an administration actually puts people over politics and power; I might add, quite unlike what we have today. Every episode had a message. A moral bottom line. You just have to watch 'In Excelsis Deo' from the show's very first season to know what I mean.

Right now the show is in its seventh season, and I think somewhere along the way, it lost perspective. Characters that were the anchors of the show are disappearing (not unlike Stargate SG-1, another show I like), the newer episodes seem to be getting more and more banal each time (with the exception of one episode this season - that one was pure brilliance). And I actually find it odd, because it was obvious from the middle of last season that big changes were coming, and until the very end of the season they were pulling it off nicely. Hell, the final episode was some of the best the show had to offer.

I'm just annoyed at where the show is going.

On a side note, I was watching C-Span the other day (a while ago, but I thought I'd mention it anyway - and yes, I do watch C-Span at times) and Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer was on giving a talk about international law. I must admit, the man is incredibly smart and made some really good points. Too bad the court's going to be overrun with Scalia clones by the time Bush's term is done. Ugh.

Now Playing: Coldplay - Moses

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home