echelon V

Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Name Game

Greetings.

It has come to my attention that most people I know have little or no idea what my name is, how it's pronounced, how it's pronounced, and how it's pronounced. Not that this shouldn't have been obvious to me the first 19 and (counts on fingers) 10 months of my life, but you have no idea how many different versions of 'Samey Khatib' I've heard.

It's Arabic, and it means 'one who listens'. Irony eh?

But anyhow, that's me. Really, how WOULD you pronounce that if you saw it for the first time? Don't be shy now. I've heard it all.

Being in Arabic and all, I can't even pronounce it 'perfectly'. As far as I'm concerned, 'sam-may' (sam as in ham, and may as in the month) works. So does 'saam-may' (saam as in arm), which I believe would be a bit closer to the original. Most family refers to me by the latter, though the former is pretty common too.

How not to pronounce it: For the love of god, it is NOT the Hindi word for time (as a lot of people I run into when I visit my relatives back in India seem to want to call me). I'd imagine that wouldn't be a problem here though. 'Sammy' seems to be what I get for the most part over here, and to be honest it's not as bad as I've had before, and I can live with it.

But yeah, that's the gist of it. And people wonder why I've called myself 'Sam' for the past 4 years. ;)

Now Playing: ATB - Sun Goes Down

8 Comments:

  • or rai style...

    Saameh Khateeb!

    lol

    By Blogger h3lios, at 11:03 AM  

  • Oh don't remind me....

    raddy: You've got it pretty good where you're at. They'd butcher your name on this side of the Atlantic. But yeah, I feel your pain.

    By Blogger Sam, at 4:06 PM  

  • All these years I've known you I always thought it was 'Samedh' :|

    By Blogger Dayaan Swiftheart W, at 6:13 AM  

  • haha...i didnt even have a clue!! thats why i asked

    and thats why this post is up! say thanks to me sammy! you got 4-5 comments because of me! :P

    By Blogger Aeris, at 7:45 AM  

  • Dayaan, are you serious?!

    By Blogger Sam, at 9:35 AM  

  • hehe... atleast i ain't stuck in a rut like that!! thank god ...

    By Blogger xtremely_insane, at 1:41 AM  

  • Well atleast at one point i did, and it stuck for ages before I assumed it was 'Samey' :P

    By Blogger Dayaan Swiftheart W, at 2:22 PM  

  • ermmm.... Abhyuday

    no comment

    >_<

    oh the pain


    ~King

    By Blogger Hellspawn~ The Ωmen, at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home