echelon V

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Forward

For someone who has always had a plan for just about about everything in his career, I've gotta admit I'm at a bit of a loss here.

I have no clue what I'm going to major in, and I don't really have much time to decide.

When I transferred into the business school, I was pretty sure I was going to end up doing Finance. I considered Management for a while, but then I figured I'm probably better off doing that at the MBA level. Then I flirted with PPA for a bit. Now that I know that accounting really isn't my cup of tea, I'm looking at Marketing. The only majors I haven't touched are MIS, ERB and International Business.

My business classes aren't exactly the greatest either.

MIS 301 is a load of crap about technology in the context of business, but it's way too theoretical with abstract concepts that have little or no meaning when you're actually working with a business. And give me a break... the stuff with Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access is just plain dumb.

STA 309 is not much more than statistics with Excel, which could be useful I guess. So far, nothing I haven't seen in high school already.

BA 101T is basically a one credit class/seminar where the sole purpose seems to be to keep reminding you how great the business school at UT is (did they read my mind about transferring?). And there's stuff about resume writing, career stuff and what not.

ACC 311 is the one class I've actually learned something in that could be useful, and it's the hardest I've got this semester. The first quiz wasn't great (I blame the alcoholic I sat with).


Whatever though, it's all a lot better than CS 307, and I'm guessing all the other CS classes I would have had to take. I'm just wondering what I'd be doing right now if not business. Coding maybe? Or reading whitepapers on Motorola processors? The funny thing is that when it comes to hands-on knowledge about computers, I probably know more than any of the CS or EE majors I personally know. Thanks to Sanju though, I'm not the resident geek anymore.

Now Playing: DJ Tiesto - Suburban Train

6 Comments:

  • You could ask Shishir for advice ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:45 PM  

  • I'm a little lost myself when I think about my future,

    I'm planning on doing Journalism,but I'm worried about my A levels since I'm doing English and Psychology,

    Planning on Toronto though but I don't know.

    By Blogger Dayaan Swiftheart W, at 4:54 AM  

  • haha. I think you should all just admit your true heart's desire and transfer into Comm. :) And when you do, I'll transfer into marketing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 AM  

  • Guess what Samey Khatib?

    You're not alone.

    Will discuss this on MSN. Don't want the whole world to know about it.

    By Blogger schumy, at 11:27 AM  

  • Melissa: Not a chance in hell. ;)

    schumy: Sure... if you're ever on at the same time I am. The last time I had a crapload of assignments so I couldn't really chat.

    By Blogger Sam, at 3:46 PM  

  • Guess what Samey Khatib and Atul Mathew...

    Welcome me to the fold.

    As i was a millenia ago in MHS,i'm as clueless but more confused now.Bleh...
    more about "that" sorry mess on my blog though.

    Let's all set up a Vada Pav Stall that doubles up as a LAN Cafe:P?What say?

    *Omar voice*shall we conduct business?*end Omar voice*

    peace out.

    By Blogger h3lios, at 2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home