echelon V

Monday, December 19, 2005

The Freeman excels in all things

So I've come to the conclusion that Melissa and I are the same person. Seriously. Well, except she likes Nip-tuck and the OC and I like U2 (how can you not?!). But yeah, we just had a conversation about religion in general and christianity in particular - some of which was pretty enlightening. I'm a nerd when it comes to this stuff, I'll admit it, even though I might not know anywhere near as much about religion as I do about politics.

Oh and we watched Syriana earlier. I personally liked it, even if the plot lines were a bit loose - and I was a bit loud. Which is weird because usually I never talk in movies. But anyhow, I could totally see everything being played out the way it did. And if you look at US-Middle Eastern history, a lot of it's incredibly familiar. I might not be as cynical as some people in that I believe that there is such a thing as a 'good politician', and yes I can in fact think of a few off of the top of my head, but incrementalism and the status quo basically kill any chance of reform the Middle East has as a region. And the views held about the region in general by the US as a country, and Americans as a people (I'm generalizing, I know), are - I don't want to say misinformed - but rather not in perspective. And how.

I can say this as a person who has lived in a Middle Eastern country, and been to a lot of others. It is NOT one region. Iran is just about as similar to Saudi Arabia as Russia is to the US. Yes, there are major religious and social issues to be resolved in the region especially with regard to Islam in government. I'll be the first to say it. Yes, there are any number of political and economic issues to be resolved. But what people, and so called 'experts' will never understand is that it is NOT going to happen overnight.

And you know what? Killing them is not going to make them love you. I don't care what you think about Saddam. Who do you think put him there? What about Mr. Bin Laden? Oh wait, it was "in our interest" at the time. Just like it is now with Iraq, except things aren't as rosy as Cheney, Rumsfeld and the boys at PNAC would have you believe.

That's what irks me.

So now I just realized this post was supposed to be a sort of 'end of semester' closing post, but I'll do that one tomorrow or the day after. Kind of got sidetracked there.

Now Playing: Radiohead - Lucky

4 Comments:

  • Notes:
    1. radiohead kicks ass.
    2. you said irks. you're all getting sucked into my quirky word usage. i win.
    3. U2 is pretty much one of the most irking bands to listen to for more than 10 minutes at a time.
    4. The OC has pretty people on it. How can you not wanna watch pretty people. Who cares what they're actualyl doing during the show.
    5. Iranians are crazy. That's why I'm friends with parisa, so she can warn me before they blow everything up. :) ....
    5. Americans are morons.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 PM  

  • 1) irks is a usual word... its when he starts using phrases like "piqued my interest" that you should start being worried and take his temperature.

    2) good post sam.. i think i pretty much agree with what youve said throughout. havent seen syriana.

    3) And yeah.. i lived in oman for 5 years and in uae for 7 and theyre different as heaven and hell... i mean even teh geography and climate change totally! and theyre neighbors! (Muscat->Dubai = 4hr drive) makes you think.

    4) I would also say that the american public's image of the mid-east is not as misinformed as it is outdated... and the fact that they generally arent too concerned about the reliability of their sources of information, does nothing to help.
    i mean... Fox?? Abc??? their news coverage WITHIN the country is already skewed... imagine how the news from outside is butchered.

    ~King

    By Blogger Hellspawn~ The Ωmen, at 2:13 PM  

  • The thing I liked about the movie was unlike other conspiracy theory type movies this wasn't just 'omg evil Americans and their corporations taking over the world', there was just as much focus on reform in whatever middle eastern country the Emir and his two sons were from being completely shut down by the Emir - and yes, thanks to American influence.

    Also the thing with George Clooney being investigated because he got too close to what was going on, and finally the terrorist attack which brought everything full circle. The vicious cycle completed, which would undoubtedly lead to another round of the exact same thing.

    And I know exactly what you mean, the social dynamic in Muscat with Arabs/expats is so different than it is in Dubai and the UAE in general. Bahrain too for that matter.

    By Blogger Sam, at 2:32 PM  

  • Please don't get me started on OC:@ stupid show's the reason *i* don't get to use the PC as much as i should.

    Damn sister insists on watching it on the PC:@

    Stupid show.

    Oh and Sam if you haven't yet...watch Citizen Kane when you can.

    By Blogger h3lios, at 4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home