echelon V

Friday, June 09, 2006

An exercise in perspective perhaps?

This is the part I least like about visiting home. The mother dearest's usual discussion on my pseudo-independence. Something to do with maintaining my autonomy while complying with family values, honor and tradition.

Yeah.

I guess it figures considering she puts so much emphasis on the extended family, and really is like, communication central when it comes to relatives. Spends at least an hour on the phone everyday talking to family, be it in India, America, Europe, Pakistan, whatever. Family is important to her, and she's the kind of person who would really go to the ends of the earth if she felt like she had to for the family.

I don't know what I've done that constantly prompts these everytime I'm here. The only thing I have to say is that while I do respect my family just as much as anyone else, I would expect them to accept me for who I am and who I choose to be. Even if it means that they have to accept someone who doesn't necessarily comform to their norms of conduct, and well, existence. It may not be the case now but I can think it any number of potential scenarios where it might be.

A little perspective might help now and then.

Now Playing: Oasis - Gas Panic!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home